Wednesday, April 30, 2008

See How Many Hits You Can Give Up- I Dare You

This is the first posting in a few weeks, I have been away on a mini vacation with my wife and also I have taken some time to watch local high school and college games. It's always gratifying to watch the guys who I have been lucky enough to work with take their skills in a game situation. I am excited to see them put some of the tips and techniques we have spent time on during the off season into "live" action.

I also find this time of the season to be a time of many "maintenence" lessons. Some for physical or mechanical adjustments and, just as important, some for mental adjustments. The frustrated pitchers seem to be pressing a bit too hard and are allowing themselves to get into too many jams during their games. Most of this, I feel, has to do with the issue of trying to be too perfect - and I could be the cause for this unecessary pressure. The lesson time spent with me in the "controlled" environment of the bullpen tends to lead young pitchers to forget about the other variables of pitching. This would be the batter, umpire, fans, opposing dugout, weather conditions, and overall game pressure. Sure, mechanics can be clinically sound but the real success comes from combining these refined skills with concentration and a competitive spirit.

If you are a pitcher, or a coach of a pitcher, who may be struggling in this early part of the season I encourage you to approach your outings with a "fearless" attitude. Dare the other team to hit the ball, in fact, see how many hits you can give up. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? But, if you think about it, staying away from the base on balls will often keep you on the good side of the win/loss ledger over the course of a season. I often ask my young pitchers if they would rather give up a long home run with no one on or bloop single with two guys on. They have come to understand that a one run homer is not so bad. It's the hit in the middle of the inning combined with a few walks that can ruin a pitchers day more often than the single long ball. If you can adapt the attitude of just making the guys hit the ball and not fear the base hit you will, over time, be successful. Sure, it may look ugly occasionally if you give up some homers- but 5 walks in 2 innings pitched looks worse in my opinion.

I encourage all young pitchers to be more fearless, keep a determined and calm demeanor on the mound and above all, don't panic over giving up hits - they have been a part of baseball for decades and will continue to be for years to come. If you are reading this article, I hope you approach your next outing with the confidence to see how many batters can hit the ball. You will be surprised how successful you can be!

No comments: